Live, work and play at the beach while building a career at America’s finest small-market broadcast group! Enjoy life with this family-owned company on the beautiful Delmarva Peninsula, located between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay. Ideally located at ocean resorts, with an easy drive to Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City.
This position is responsible for the planning, development and delivery of infrastructure, editorial processes, schedules, and content to maintain the Draper Media digital news properties in their position as the leader in interactive news and feature delivery on the Delmarva Peninsula.
Draper Media’s local news content is produced and distributed for busy, tech-savvy, mobile audiences, and we’re looking for a creative, innovative leader to drive these efforts for our CBS, NBC, and Telemundo affiliates. The Digital Content Manager for Draper Media will serve as a member of the management team and lead the publication and distribution of engaging, compelling content across multiple platforms. This person will play a key role in charting our station’s content and audience growth strategy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the news team’s digital strategy to grow multi-platform content, audience, and engagement across all digital properties – desktop, mobile, apps, social, OTT, and emerging platforms.
- Guides the newsroom to develop workflows that deliver timely content 24/7 across all platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen, including emerging digital styles such as vertical video.
- Serves as the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspires others to follow their lead.
- Oversees all station efforts in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and others. This includes publishing, syndicating, community management, and reporting.
- Actively partners with news directors and creative services to create three-screen synergy (TV, digital, mobile) around station content and campaigns, leveraging all media available: articles, photos, audio, and video.
- Supervises the digital work of the producer desks and reporting staff: overseeing the planning, production, packaging and promotion of content across platforms with an emphasis on mobile, social and video; identifies and fixes gaps in process, communication, and coordination across teams and divisions.
- Analyzes and actively uses data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Monitors, moderates, reports, and responds to viewer engagement across digital platforms
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates a continuous feedback loop between our audience and our internal teams (editorial, product, marketing, and sales) to improve the viewers' experience with our services.
- Establishes and maintains publishing and editorial calendars, actively manages during editorial meetings.
- Gives daily assignments to reporters to ensure digital assets are delivered and developed for each story
- Oversees digital content analytics and reporting – at the property level and aggregate – on the performance of day to day posts, campaigns and social listening, including how our properties index compared to competitors
- Motivates the news staff and all content producers — using reporting and qualitative metrics to help them see the impact of their work and the opportunities to take it further.
- Serves as the managerial point of contact for news with our platform vendors and third-party partners.
- Holds newsroom employees accountable to Draper Media's ethical and editorial standards.
This position manages digital news staff and assists news director(s) by supervising the digital responsibilities for all newsroom employees - we are one team. Creates and delivers training to all staff on digital strategies, policies, and best practices, including: platform publishing, SEO, social media, etiquette, style, and voice. Teaches and mentors staff on a daily and ongoing basis. Creates an environment that motivates the news staff and producers to express their passion and storytelling talents to our audience using digital media.
QUALIFICATIONS and COMPETENCIES:
Skills and Abilities
We are seeking someone well-versed in using metrics to determine traffic patterns, platform choices, media styles, and social media strategies. The ideal candidate is experimental, loves to coach and train others, sets high standards, and elevates the quality of our journalism. Passion is a must and a commitment to local journalism that makes a difference is essential. Must be comfortable with fast-moving organizational culture while maintaining a strong attention to detail. The position must be laser-focused on serving Delmarva’s viewing audience.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work cross-functionally with different departments and personalities.
- Expert with analytics and reporting tools such as Google Analytics, CrowdTangle, and Microsoft Excel.
- Comfortable with HTML and the Adobe Creative Suite; especially Lightroom, Premiere, and Photoshop
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications preferred. 3-5 years of digital content experience, including at least 1-2 years managing other digital journalists. Experience running multiple branded social media and digital properties for a significant media publisher.
Physical Demands, Work Conditions and Environment:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Usual office environment
- Must concentrate mind and eyes closely for sustained periods.
- Ability to work weekend and/or late shifts
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation; any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation, including but not limited to: Driving Record, Criminal Background, Reference Check, Credit Check, etc.
- Must be willing to submit to a drug and alcohol screening.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be willing to execute Draper Holdings Employment Agreement which requires, among other things, post-employment obligations relating to non-solicitation and confidentially disclosure.
1729 N. Salisbury Blvd.
Salisbury, MD 21801
No Phone Calls EOE